Town of Farmville
Board of Commissioners
April 3, 2017
The Farmville Board of Commissioners met in regular session on Monday, April 3, 2017 at 6:30 p.m. in the Municipal Building Courtroom with Mayor Robert L. Evans presiding. Present for the meeting were Commissioners Brenda Elks, David Shackleford, Hunter Walters, Jamin Dixon and John Moore; Town Attorney Christopher Edwards; Town Manager David Hodgkins and Town Clerk Amy B. Johnson.
Mayor Evans called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m.
Pastor Kevin Jackson of the Marlboro Original Free Will Baptist Church in Farmville offered the invocation, which was followed by the pledge of allegiance to the flag.
Mayor Evans recognized Sophie Szymeczek, a Farmville citizen.
Sophie stated she was representing the Farmville Rotary Club and they want to do more to help the community. She said they want people to fill out a survey to help them know what the community’s needs are. Sophie stated the club would like to increase their club membership.
Mayor Evans recognized John Spruill, a Farmville citizen.
Mr. Spruill asked when 707 South George Street would be cleaned up because the weeds and wildlife is taking over.
Town Manager Comments
Town Manager Hodgkins made the following comments:
- Town will be receiving several safety awards from NC Department of Labor which is the first time Farmville has received any of these recognitions.
- Request for proposals from architects for the Library expansion have been solicited and will hopefully have an update at the next meeting
- All hydrants are being flushed nightly to make the seasonal disinfection conversion from chloramines to free chlorine which may produce a slight chlorine smell for a few days
Town Manager Hodgkins stated he had the following changes to the evening’s agenda:
- Add agenda item #7- Change date of July Board of Commissioners meeting
Commissioner Walters made a motion to approve the agenda with the above changes. The motion carried unanimously.
Items for Consent
- Approval of Minutes
To approve the minutes from the following meeting:
- February 20, 2017 retreat session
- February 21, 2017 retreat session
- March 6, 2017 regular session
- Report on Unpaid Taxes for 2016
To approve the list of unpaid taxes for the year 2016 that are liens on real property, and to authorize the advertisement of them in the Farmville Enterprise for April, 2017.
- Adoption of Ordinance Amending the FY 2016/2017 Budget Ordinance
To adopt an ordinance amending the FY 2016/2017 budget ordinance to transfer grant monies received from the LSTA grant for the Library in the Library department budget to cover expenses already incurred due to grant approval.
On motion by Commissioner Elks,HHSSSS the Board approved/adopted the following:
- Approved the minutes from the February 20th & 21st retreat sessions and the March 6th regular session
- Approved the report on unpaid taxes for 2016 and authorized the advertisement of them
- Adopted Ordinance (2017) 886, Amending the FY 2016/2017 Budget Ordinance
The motion carried unanimously.
Items for Decision
- Consider Acquisition of Utility Easements
Andrew Parker, with McDavid Associates, requested permission to proceed with easement acquisitions pertaining to the 2016 water system improvement project. Parker stated the King Farm Road interconnection requires easements between Barrett Road and King Farm Road.
On motion by Commissioner Dixon, the Town agreed to proceed with easement acquisitions presented pertaining to the 2016 water system improvement project. The motion carried unanimously.
- Consider Residential Development Incentive Grant Program
Town Manager Hodgkins presented a proposed Residential Development Incentive Grant Program to the Board for consideration.
Commissioner Walters made a motion to adopt the Residential Development Incentive Grant Program. The motion carried unanimously.
- Consider Appointing Members to the Architectural Review Board
Town Manager Hodgkins requested appointment of three Farmville citizens to serve on the Architectural Review Board. He presented the following names for consideration:
- Todd Edwards
- Erin Grimes
- Bob Newton
Commissioner Moore made a motion to appoint the following members to the Architectural Review Committee for a three-year term: Todd Edwards, Erin Grimes and Bob Newton. The motion carried unanimously.
- Change Date of July Board of Commissioners Meeting
Town Manager Hodgkins requested for the July 3rd meeting to be changed to June 26th due to the fireworks celebration being on July 3rd this year plus the need to adopt some last minute budget amendments before year-end.
Commissioner Moore made a motion to change the July 3rd meeting to June 26th. The motion carried unanimously.
Mayor asked if there were any citizen comments at this time.
Commissioner Elks stated she would like for an update on the Meals and Wheels, and the Fire,
Fountain, EMS situation.
On motion by Commissioner Walters, the meeting was adjourned at 7:09 p.m. The motion