Town of Farmville
Board of Commissioners
January 3, 2017
The Farmville Board of Commissioners met in regular session on Tuesday, January 3, 2017 at 6:30 p.m. in the Municipal Building Courtroom with Mayor Robert L. Evans presiding. Present for the meeting were Commissioners Brenda Elks, David Shackleford, Hunter Walters, Jamin Dixon and John Moore; Town Attorney Christopher Edwards; Town Manager David Hodgkins and Town Clerk Amy B. Johnson.
Mayor Evans called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m.
Pastor Lester Gay of the Community Fellowship Ministries Church in Farmville offered the invocation which was followed by the pledge of allegiance to the flag.
Mayor Evans recognized Lester Gay.
Mr. Gay thanked the Town Board for the sidewalk project which extended down South Main Street and stated what a wonderful thing it has been. He also thanked the Town Manager for his prompt attention to a matter. He stated he appreciated the work done by the Town.
Mayor Evans said Barry Boone, a former Town employee, passed away today and asked for everyone to remember him and him family during this time.
Town Manger Hodgkins stated he had no comments for the Board at this time.
Mayor Evans asked the Board if they had any questions for Finance Director Amy Johnson on the December financial report presented. There were no questions.
Proclamation on Human Trafficking and Awareness Month- Mayor Evans
Mayor Evans presented a Proclamation on Human Trafficking and Awareness Month to Pam Strickland.
Town Manager Hodgkins stated he had no changes to be made to the evening’s agenda at this time.
Mayor Evans asked for a motion to approve the evening’s agenda.
Commissioner Dixon made a motion to approve the agenda as presented. The motion carried unanimously.
Citizen Committee Presentations
The following committees provided the Town Board with an update on what has been going on the past year and what to expect in 2017:
- Dogwood Festival Committee- Dan Taylor, Chair
- Library Advisory Board- Kearney Long, Chair
- May Museum & Park Advisory Commission- Deb Higgins
- Parks & Recreation Advisory Committee- Phillip Erwin
- Planning & Zoning Board- Tim Reida, Chair
- Tree & Community Appearance Commission- no show
Items for Consent
- Approval of Minutes
To approve the minutes from the following meeting(s):
December 6, 2016 regular session
- Budget Amendment- Police Department
To adopt an ordinance amending the FY 2016/2017 budget to place funds in the Police department budget to allow for the purchase of two patrol vehicles.
- Appointment of Fire Chief for 2017
To appoint Tommy Brady as Fire Chief for another one-year term.
- Resolution Authorizing Sale of Surplus Personal Property (Fire Truck)
To adopt a resolution declaring the 1996 Freightliner fire truck as surplus and to authorize the disposing of the truck by private sale
- Resolution Authorizing Sale of Surplus Real Property at 3730 North Main Street
To adopt a resolution authorizing the sale of a 0.17-acre lot owned by the Town located at 3730 North Main Street (Former Farmville Hardware Store) to Uptown Properties, LLC.
On motion by Commissioner Walters,HHSSSS the Board approved/adopted the following:
- Approve the minutes from the December 6th regular session
- Adopted Ordinance (2017) 883, An Ordinance Amending the FY 2016-2017 Budget Ordinance
- Appointed Tommy Brady as Fire Chief for another one-year term
- Adopted Resolution (2017) 1352, Resolution Authorizing Town Manager to Dispose of Surplus Property by Private Sale
- Adopted Resolution (2017) 1353, Resolution Authorizing Disposal of Certain Real Property on North Main Street
The motion carried unanimously.
Items for Decision
- Presentation of Audit Report for FY 2015/2016
Jay Parris, from Barrow, Parris & Davenport, P.A., presented the audit report for the fiscal year ended June 30, 2016.
Commissioner Moore made a motion to approve the audit report for the fiscal year ended June 30, 2016. The motion carried unanimously.
- Consideration of Construction Contract Award- 2013 CDBG Project/Watkins MHP
Mike Barnette, from McDavid Associates, requested for the Board to consider adoption of a resolution awarding construction contract that approves the Notice of Award, Change Order No.1 and amendment No. 1 to Technical Services Agreement.
Commissioner Dixon made a motion to reconsider this request at the February 6, 2017 Board of Commissioners meeting, when all properties have been brought into compliance. The motion carried unanimously.
- Consideration of Amendments to the Façade Improvement Grant Program
Town Manager Hodgkins presented amendments to the Façade Improvement Grant Program and he requested for the Board to approve these amendments.
Commissioner Moore made a motion to approve the amendments presented to the Façade Grant program. The motion carried unanimously.
- Consideration of Draft Agenda for Annual Board of Commissioners Planning Retreat
Town Manager Hodgkins provided a draft agenda for the upcoming Board retreat.
Commissioner Moore made a motion to allow Connie Corey to come to the retreat for about 30 minutes to discuss where we stand in Pitt County, if she is available. The motion carried unanimously.
Commissioner Dixon recognized Steven Hardy-Braz and asked him to share briefly about his recent cross-country bike ride across the United States.
Mr. Hardy-Braz commented that is was an amazing and touching trip, with the ability to travel freely from coast to coast on a bicycle, and hopes to give a presentation on his trip soon.
Commissioner Elks thanked the town staff for all their Christmas parade efforts.
Commissioner Moore commented that this was the Town’s best audit he has seen.
On motion by Commissioner Moore, the meeting was adjourned at 7:59 p.m. The motion carried unanimously