Town of Farmville
Board of Commissioners
June 26, 2017
The Farmville Board of Commissioners met in regular session on Monday, June 26, 2017 at 6:30 p.m. in the Municipal Building Courtroom with Mayor Robert L. Evans presiding. Present for the meeting were Commissioners Brenda Elks, Jamin Dixon and John Moore; Town Attorney Christopher Edwards; Town Manager David Hodgkins and Town Clerk Amy B. Johnson. Commissioners David Shackleford and Hunter Walters were absent.
Mayor Evans called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m.
Pastor Ronnie Wilkes, of Bibleway Holiness Church in Farmville, offered the invocation, which was followed by the pledge of allegiance to the flag.
Mayor Pro Tem Moore recognized and thanked John Spruill for his service 26 years ago on this day when he came home from desert storm.
Mayor Evans recognized Steven Hardy-Braz, a Farmville citizen.
Mr. Hardy- Braz stated that in 102 days, tourists will be coming to Farmville for the Cycle NC event. He said it would be held October 6th from 10am – 1pm and for the first time, Pitt County is a rest stop on the bike ride, and the stop will be at the Duck Rabbit Brewery. Mr. Hardy-Braz further stated he would like to work with the town to be able to showcase the town as riders pass through.
Town Manager Comments
Town Manager Hodgkins made the following comments:
- July 4th celebration on July 3rd from 6:00 pm until 9:30 pm on Town Commons
- Utility & Street paving project to begin later in July
- Golden Leaf Foundation has awarded the Town a $75,000 grant for a storm water repair project on Wallace Street
Finance Director Amy Johnson provided the financial report for the month of May, 2017.
Town Manager Hodgkins stated he had no changes to the evening’s agenda.
Special Recognition of Alyssa Corpening
Mayor Evans recognized Alyssa Corpening to honor her for saving the life of a 3-year-old boy who was drowning in a swimming pool.
Items for Consent
- Resolution Honoring Alyssa Corpening
To adopt a resolution honoring Alyssa Corpening for her heroic action in saving a child from drowning in her apartment complex pool on June 3, 2017.
- Approval of Minutes
To approve the minutes from the following meetings:
- May 15, 2017 budget workshop
- May 15, 2017 budget workshop closed
- June 5, 2017 regular session
- Adoption of Ordinance Amending the FY 2016/2017 Budget Ordinance – Year End Adjustments
To adopt an ordinance amending the FY 2016/2017 budget to cover any final over expenditures made in the FY 2016/2017 budget.
On motion by Commissioner Moore,HHSSSS the Board approved/adopted the following:
- Adopted Resolution (2017) 1364, Resolution Recognizing Alyssa Corpening for her Heroism in Saving a Child from Drowning
- Approved the minutes from the May 15th budget workshop session, the May 15th budget workshop closed session & the June 5th regular session
- Adopted Ordinance (2017) 890, An Ordinance Amending the FY 2016-2017 Budget OrdinanceThe motion carried unanimously.
Items for Decision
- Presentation by Deena and Jay Johnson Regarding Live Music Downtown
Jay Johnson, owner of the Farmville Flower Basket, asked the Town Board for permission to hold a “Music on Main” event on August 22, 2017 from 6:00 p.m. until 9:00 p.m. He asked the Town for permission to block off Main Street between Church and Wilson, and asked for a donation of $500 towards the event. He stated that the goal of the event was to get people downtown to the businesses especially in the evening.
Commissioner Elks made a motion to donate $500 towards the Music on Main Event, to approve the use of the Dogwood stage, and to block off the section of Main Street between Church and Wilson. The motion carried unanimously.
- Contract for Design Services for Farmville Public Library
Library Director David Miller presented a proposal from Smith Sinnett Architecture to work with the Town of Farmville on the library’s renovation and expansion project. He asked for approval of the proposal to move forward with the renovation.
Commissioner Moore made a motion to approve the Smith Sinnett Architecture proposal. The motion carried unanimously.
- Tax Foreclosure Attorney Agreement
Town Manager Hodgkins presented a proposal for tax foreclosure services from Mr. Mark D. Bardill of Zacchaeus Legal Services, an attorney who specializes in tax foreclosures. Hodgkins stated Mr. Bardill would help the Town collect on some of the delinquent tax debt.
Commissioner Dixon made a motion to approve the Tax Foreclosure Attorney Agreement with Zacchaeus Legal Services. The motion carried unanimously.
- Resolution Adopting the 2016 Local Water Supply Plan
Town Manager Hodgkins requested adoption of a resolution approving the 2016 Local Water Supply Plan.
On motion by Commissioner Elks, the Board adopted Resolution (2017) 1365, Resolution Approving Local Water Supply Plan, Division of Environmental Quality. The motion carried unanimously.
Mayor Evans asked if there were any citizen comments at this time.
On motion by Commissioner Dixon, the meeting was adjourned at 7:22 p.m. The motion