The Farmville Board of Commissioners met in regular session on Monday, June 7, 2021 at 6:30 p.m. in the Municipal Building Courtroom with Mayor John Moore presiding. Present for the meeting were Commissioners Alma Hobbs, Bert Smith, David Shackleford and Brenda Elks; Town Attorney Christopher Edwards, Town Manager David Hodgkins and Town Clerk Amy B. Johnson. Commissioner Jamin Dixon attended the meeting by phone.
Mayor Moore called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m.
Jeffery Fields, Youth Pastor at Salvation and Praise Church in Farmville, offered the invocation, which was followed by the pledge of allegiance to the flag led by Commissioner Bert Smith.
Mayor Moore recognized Jeffrey Fields.
Mr. Fields informed the Board of an upcoming event on June 19, 2021. He stated there will be a Bicycle Awareness Safety event to include a bike rodeo for the young children and a bike ride from the Town Hall to Salvation and Praise Church for individuals age 15 and older.
Mayor Moore recognized Steven Hardy-Braz, a Farmville citizen.
Mr. Hardy-Braz expressed his concern over 2 sidewalk ramps that are not ADA compliant.
Town Manager’s Comments
Town Manager Hodgkins made the following comment(s) to the Board:
- New Patriotic Banners are being installed downtown as of today
- Community Health event, sponsored by Vidant Health and Town of Farmville, will take place on June 12, 2021, from 10:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. Location has been moved from the Town Commons to the Farmville Community Center due to weather.
- Our Independence Day Celebration will take place on July 3, 2021 from 6:00 p.m. until 9:30 p.m. with live music, food and fireworks on the Town Commons.
- Town of Farmville and Duck Rabbit Brewery will be featured in the 2022 ElectriCities Public Power Calendar.
Finance Director Amy Johnson provided the financial report for the month of May, 2021.
Changes/Additions/Deletions to Agenda
Mayor Moore asked if there were any additional changes to the agenda.
Town Manager Hodgkins stated he had no changes.
With there being no changes, Mayor Moore asked for a motion to accept the evening’s agenda as presented.
Commissioner Hobbs made a motion to accept the agenda as presented. The motion carried unanimously.
Town Manager Hodgkins stated his would like to recognize two individuals for their life saving efforts in a very difficult situation. He stated their calm demeanor and skilled handling resulted in saving an individual from taking his own life. He asked to present Police Officer Jason Spencer and Police Chief Jeffrey Spencer with a Life Saving Pin and Certificate.
Mayor Moore stated this was the first time in the Town’s history that an award like this has been presented. He asked the Board for a motion to accept the awards being presented.
Commissioner Elks made a motion to accept the awards presented by the Town Manager to Jason Spencer and Jeffrey Spencer. The motion carried unanimously.
Town Manager Hodgkins recognized Police Officer Jason Spencer and Police Chief Jeffrey Spencer and presented each of them with a Life Saving Pin and Certificate.
Administer Oath of Office to Chief of Police
Town Clerk Amy Johnson administered the Oath of Office to Jeffrey Spencer, for the position of Police Chief for the Town of Farmville.
Mayor Moore asked for a brief pause in tonight’s meeting to take a few photos.
1. FY 2021/2022 Budget Ordinance
Town Manager Hodgkins requested adoption the FY 2021/2022 Budget Ordinance. He stated all changes requested by the Board at the budget workshop had been made.
Mayor Moore opened the public hearing on the FY 2021/2022 Budget at 6:53 p.m.
Steven Hardy-Braz further expressed his concern over the handicap access on sidewalks and making sure the Town is abiding by the Americans With Disabilities Act which addresses people with disabilities.
There being no further comments, Mayor Moore closed the public hearing at 7:00 p.m.
On motion by Commissioner Smith, the Board adopted Ordinance (2021) 976, Town of Farmville Budget Ordinance for Fiscal Year 2021/2022. The motion carried unanimously.
Items for Consent
2. Approval of Minutes
To approve the minutes from the following session(s):
- May 3, 2021 – Regular Session
- May 20, 2021- Budget Workshop Session
3. Adoption of Ordinance Amending FY 2020/2021 Budget Ordinance
To adopt an ordinance amending the FY 2020/2021 Budget Ordinance to cover any over expenditures based on predicted June 30, 2021 balances.
4. Re-Appointment of Planning Board Member- J. D. Andrews
To adopt a resolution re-appointing J. D. Andrews as a member to the Farmville Planning Board.
5. Appointment of Planning Board Member- Shane Miller
To adopt a resolution appointing Shane Miller as a member to the Farmville Planning Board.
6. Re-Appointment of May Museum Advisory Committee Member- Michael Cable
To adopt a resolution re-appointing Michael Cable as a member to the May Museum and Park Commission.
7. Re-Appointment of May Museum Advisory Committee Member- Bob Newton
To adopt a resolution re-appointing Bob Newton as a member to the May Museum and Park Commission.
On motion by Commissioner Elks, the Board adopted/approved the following:
- Approved the minutes from the May 3, 2021 regular session and the May 20, 2021 budget workshop session
- Adopted Ordinance (2021) 977, An Ordinance Amending the FY 2020/2021 Budget Ordinance
- Adopted Resolution (2021) 1519, Re-Appointing a Member to the Planning Board – J. D. Andrews
- Adopted Resolution (2021) 1520, Appointing a Member to the Planning Board – Shane Miller
- Adopted Resolution (2021) 1521, Re-Appointing a Member to the May Museum and Park Commission – Michael Cable
- Adopted Resolution (2021) 1522, Re-Appointing a Member to the May Museum and Park Commission – Bob Newton
The motion carried unanimously.
Items for Discussion
Town Manager Hodgkins stated the Town currently contracts with Suez Water Environmental Services, Inc. to operate its wastewater treatment plant. He further stated the contract was up for renewal. Hodgkins presented a new contract which extends the existing relationship with Suez for another five years through July 31, 2026. He informed the Board the contract reflects an annual decrease of $6,087 over the term of the contract to reflect a transfer of responsibility for purchase of chemicals from Suez to the Town. Hodgkins stated both parties agreed to this change in responsibility a few months ago when the Town converted from a chorine and sulfur dioxide gas feed system to a liquid chlorination and dechlorination feed system.
Commissioner Hobbs made a motion to approve the new contract with Suez Water Environmental Services, Inc. to manage the operation of the Farmville Wastewater Treatment Plant. The motion carried unanimously.
Mayor Moore asked for citizen comments at this time.
There were no comments.
On motion by Commissioner Smith, the meeting was adjourned at 7:14 p.m. The motion carried unanimously.