Town of Farmville
Board of Commissioners
March 5, 2018
The Farmville Board of Commissioners met in regular session on Monday, March 5, 2018 at 6:30 p.m. in the Municipal Building Courtroom with Mayor Robert L. Evans presiding. Present for the meeting were Commissioners Brenda Elks, David Shackleford, Alma Hobbs, Jamin Dixon and John Moore; Town Attorney Christopher Edwards; Town Manager David Hodgkins and Town Clerk Amy B. Johnson.
Mayor Evans called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m.
Pastor Lester Gay, from the Community Fellowship Ministries Church in Farmville, offered the invocation, which was followed by the pledge of allegiance to the flag.
Mayor Evans recognized John Baker from the Farmville Fire Department.
Mr. Baker requested on behalf of the Fire Department, for the Town Board to change their meeting night to another night of the week so there could be a Fire Department member present at the Town Board meetings. He explained that currently the Town Board meets on the same night as the Fire DEpartment.
Mayor Evans recognized Sophie Szymeczek, who resides at 4288 West Pine Street in Farmville.
She asked if the Board would submit a proclamation to support Earth Day and schedule a day to clean up the town. She stated that Earth Day is April 22, 2018.
John Spruill asked for help with fixing some of his friends’ houses by means of the CDBG program.
Town Manager Comments
- Retreat was beneficial
- Wallace Street storm drainage project on South Main has begun and should be completed in the next 2 weeks
- On January 2nd, the Board approved a retail customer service survey conducted by ElectriCities and the survey firm will begin calling customers as of this evening
- All Town Staff attended a workplace harassment training last week to help ensure a safe workplace and to minimize risk
- Consider moving the April Board meeting to Tuesday, April 3rd due to that Monday being the Monday after the Easter Holiday
Finance Director Amy Johnson provided the financial report for the month of February, 2018.
Town Manager Hodgkins stated he had the following changes to the evening’s agenda:
- Add Agenda item #13 – Request to Change April Board Meeting Date
- Remove Agenda Item #7
- Remove Agenda Item #8
Commissioner Hobbs made a motion to approve the above changes to the evening’s agenda. The motion carried unanimously.
Commissioner Dixon made a motion to accept the amended agenda. The motion carried unanimously.
1. Rezone Property on West Wilson Street/May Street from Industrial District (ID)
to Residential-5 (R-5) District and Residential-Multi-Family (RMF) District
Town Manager Hodgkins stated the request by Reggie Spain is to rezone parcel 15217 from Residential (R-5) District to Residential Multi-Family (R-MF) and a portion of parcel 15161 from Industrial District (ID) to Residential (R-5) District. He reported that the Planning Board voted unanimously on February 13, 2018 to recommend that the Industrial (ID) District property be rezoned to Residential (R-5) District as requested by Spain, but that none of the property be rezoned to Residential Multi-Family (R-MF).
Mayor Evans declared the public hearing on open at 6:52 p.m.
There being no further comments, Mayor Evans closed the public hearing at 6:32 p.m.
On motion by Commissioner Dixon, the Board decided to reconsider this request once the Planning Board has finished its review of permitted uses in several zoning districts. The motion carried unanimously.
Items for Consent
2. Approval of Minutes
To approve the minutes from the following meeting:
- February 5, 2018 regular session
3. Resolution Honoring Dr. G. Dennis Massey on his Retirement as President of Pitt
To adopt a resolution honoring Dr. G. Dennis Massey on his retirement as President of Pitt Community College.
4. Appointment of Parks and Recreation Board Member – Brittany Thompson
To appointment Brittany Thompson to serve as a member on the Parks and Recreation Advisory Committee.
5. Appointment of Planning Board Member – J.D. Andrews, Jr.
To appoint J.D. Andrews, Jr. to serve as a member on the Farmville Planning Board.
6. Appointment of Planning Board Member – Elmer Flake
To appoint Elmer Flake to serve as a member on the Farmville Planning Board.
7. Appointment of Planning Board Member – Frank Bradham
Removed from agenda.
8. Appointment of Planning Board Member – Bert Smith
Removed from agenda.
On motion by Commissioner Elks,HHSSSS the Board approved/adopted the following:
- Approve the minutes from the February 5, 2018 regular session
- Adopted Resolution (2018) 1387, Honoring Dr. G. Dennis Massey for his Tenure as President of Pitt Community College and his Commitment to Providing Access to Higher Learning Throughout the County
- Adopted Resolution (2018) 1388, Appointing a Member to the Parks and Recreation Advisory Committee (Brittany Thompson)
- Adopted Resolution (2018) 1389, Appointing Advisory Board Member to the Farmville Planning Board (J.D. Andrews, Jr.)
- Adopted Resolution (2018) 1390, Appointing Advisory Board Member to the Farmville Planning Board (Elmer Flake)
The motion carried unanimously.
9. Report on Property Tax Collections – Mark Bardill, Zacchaeus Legal Services
Mark Bardill, from Zacchaeus Legal Services, provided the Board with an update of his firm’s progress with the collection of delinquent property taxes.
10. Economic Development Strategic Plan- Penny Whiteheart, Creative EDC
Penny Whiteheart, from Creative EDC, presented her findings and made recommendations on economic development strategies as part of an update of the Town’s Strategic Economic Development Plan.
Items for Decision
11. Permit Use of Gazebo by E.L. Photography to Photograph Little Red School
Students on March 12, 2018
Town Manager Hodgkins stated that Erica Letchworth has requested permission to use the gazebo on the Town Commons on March 12, 2018 from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., as a setting to photograph students from the Little Red School. Hodgkins further stated if approved, only the gazebo and area immediately adjacent would be used.
Commissioner Elks made a motion to allow Erica Letchworth to use the Town Commons for the requested purpose. The motion carried unanimously.
12. Public Art on Town Common
Town Manager Hodgkins stated that the Board needed to choose which art sculpture they would like to have and to determine the location for the pedestal in order to proceed towards installation and so the family donating money for the pedestal can make their gift to the Town.
Commissioner Hobbs made a motion to place the pedestal at the Farmville Community Center. The motion carried unanimously.
Commissioner Hobbs made a motion to select the lunar eclipse art piece to be displayed on the pedestal. The motion carried unanimously.
13. Request to Change April Board Meeting Date
Town Manager Hodgkins requested for the Board to consider changing the April Board meeting to Tuesday, April 3rd due to the regularly scheduled meeting falling the Monday after the Easter holiday.
Commissioner Hobbs made a motion to move the April Board meeting to Tuesday, April 3, 2018. The motion carried unanimously.
Mayor Evans asked for citizen comments.
Sheryl Patterson stated that she was excited to see the arts come alive in Farmville. She also stated that the Arts Council was sponsoring a Reunion Jam for local musicians on March 25 from 3 – 7pm at the Paramount Theatre.
Commissioner Elks stated that the Farmville Police Department would be hosting a program on safety in churches on March 6 from 6 – 8pm at the Methodist Church.
Mayor Evans reminded the Board that the reception for Dr. Massey would be held on March 8.
On motion by Commissioner Elks, the meeting was adjourned at 7:58 p.m. The motion carried unanimously.