The Farmville Board of Commissioners met in regular session on Monday, May 6, 2019 at 3:00 p.m. in the Municipal Building Courtroom with Mayor Robert Evans presiding. Present for the meeting were Commissioners Brenda Elks, Alma Hobbs, Jamin Dixon, David Shackleford and John Moore; Town Attorney Christopher Edwards; Town Manager David Hodgkins and Town Clerk Amy B. Johnson.
Mayor Evans called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m.
Commissioner David Shackleford offered the invocation, which was followed by the pledge of allegiance to the flag.
Mayor Evans recognized Bobby Joyner.
Mr. Joyner updated the Board on the H.B. Sugg mural project for the park. He asked for additional funds to aid in completing phase 3.
Town Manager Hodgkins had the following comments:
- Town Manager stated the Dogwood Festival was a success and thanked the staff and volunteers for their hard work and dedication.
- Thanked Lindsay Annis for a job well done at the May Museum garden party which was held the previous Sunday.
- Pitt County Board of Education is meeting in our Town Hall courtroom today at 6:30 pm.
Finance Director Amy Johnson provided the financial report for the month of March, 2019.
Mayor Evans asked if there were any additional changes to the agenda.
Commissioner Elks asked for the date to be changed in the April 1, 2019 minutes for the Music on Main event to May 21st.
Town Manager Hodgkins recommended the following changes to the agenda:
- Correct minutes to say 21st of May for the Music on Main event
Commissioner Elks made a motion to approve the above change to the evening’s agenda. The motion carried unanimously.
On motion by Commissioner Shackleford, the Board approved the evening’s agenda. The motion carried unanimously.
Items for Consent
1. Approval of Minutes
To adopt the minutes from the following sessions:
- April 1, 2019 regular session
2. Reschedule Regular July Board of Commissioners Meeting to June 24, 2019
To move the regular July Board of Commissioners meeting to June 24, 2019 due to the July 4th holiday and to make any last minutes budget amendments before year end.
On motion by Commissioner Moore,HHSSSS the Board approved/adopted the following:
- Adopted minutes from the April 1, 2019 regular session, with changing the date for the Music on Main event to May 21, 2019
- Approved the change in the July Board of Commissioners meeting to June 24, 2019
The motion carried unanimously.
Items for Decision
3. Community Organization Funding Requests for FY 2019/2020 Budget
The following organizations made presentations to the Town Board for funding request for the FY 2019/2020 Budget:
- Presentation from Farmville Area Arts Council – Mike Barnette
- Presentation from Farmville Community Garden (“Rooted in Community”) – Bess Patton
- Presentation from Farmville Rescue and EMS – Kyle Willis
- Presentation from Farmville Senior Council – Cathy Holmes
- Presentation from H.B. Sugg and Sam Bundy Schools
- Presentation from J&L Enterprises, Inc.- Josephine Horne
- Presentation from Pitt County Council on Aging – Rich Zeck
Commissioner Moore mentioned the possibility of providing funding for scholarships to local students in the budget and said they could talk about at the upcoming budget meeting.
4. Consideration of an Agreement to Provide Municipal Police and Fire Protection
Services to the Beaker Farm LLC Property More Specifically Described as Pitt County Tax Parcels 25231 and 38322
Town Manager Hodgkins stated that the owners/developers of the Beaker Farm project have expressed an interest in securing police and fire protection services from the Farmville Police and Farmville Fire Departments. Hodgkins further stated that fire services are already available by virtue of their location within the Farmville Rural Fire District but services from the Farmville Police Department to this site are not available without a contract between Beaker Farm LLC and the Town of Farmville. He presented a proposed contract with an annual service fee of $6,500 and a twenty-year term.
On motion by Commissioner Elks, the Board approved the Police and Fire Protection Contract for the Beaker Farm LLC solar farm site. The motion carried unanimously.
5. Presentation of Town Manager’s Recommended Budget for FY 2019/2020, Announcement of Budget Workshop Date, and Setting of Public Hearing Date
Town Manager Hodgkins distributed the proposed FY 2019/2020 Budget books to the Board of Commissioners.
Commissioner Hobbs made a motion to accept the budget books and to establish a public hearing on Monday, June 3, 2019. The motion carried unanimously.
Mayor Evans asked for citizen comments at this time.
Commissioner Moore recognized John Spruill and his service to our country.
On motion by Commissioner Elks, the Board adjourned into closed session at 3:53 p.m., pursuant to G.S. 143-318.11(a)(5), to discuss possible acquisition of real property. The motion carried unanimously.
On motion by Commissioner Elks, the Board returned into regular session at 4:24 p.m. The motion carried unanimously.
On motion by Commissioner Shackleford, the meeting was adjourned at 4:27 p.m. The motion carried unanimously.