The Farmville Board of Commissioners met in regular session on Monday, October 4, 2021 at 6:30 p.m. in the Municipal Building Courtroom with Mayor John Moore presiding. Present for the meeting were Commissioners Alma Hobbs, Bert Smith, Brenda Elks, David Shackleford and Jamin Dixon; Town Attorney Christopher Edwards, Town Manager David Hodgkins and Town Clerk Amy B. Johnson.
Mayor Moore called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m.
Carolyn Ward offered the invocation, which was followed by the pledge of allegiance to the flag led by Commissioner Jamin Dixon.
Mayor Moore stated there were no citizen presentations this evening.
Town Manager’s Comments
Town Manager Hodgkins made the following comment(s) to the Board:
- Switch to GUC water- experience discoloration- flushing current
- Project working w county development folks and pitt greene- partner w county on a shell building w minimum town cost
- Events- dedication to post office at 10 am Tuesday- 150 yr celebration auction sat – may museum oyster roast this Sunday- foundation dedicated former mayor evnas on sun oct 24 at 11:30
Finance Director Amy Johnson provided the financial report for the month of September, 2021.
Changes/Additions/Deletions to Agenda
Mayor Moore asked if there were any additional changes to the agenda.
Town Manager Hodgkins stated he had no changes to the evening’s agenda.
On motion by Commissioner Smith, the Board approved the evening’s agenda as presented. The motion carried unanimously.
1. Rezone Property on South Fields Street in Farmville Corporate Park (Parcels #78627 and #05731 from Residential- Agricultural (RA-20) to Industrial District (ID)
Planning Director Justin Oakes stated the public hearing this evening was to receive citizen input on a proposed request to Rezone Parcel #78627 and Parcel #05731
Mayor Moore opened the public hearing at 6:40 p.m.
There being no further comments, Mayor Moore closed the public hearing at 6:41 p.m.
Commissioner Smith made a motion to approve – The motion carried unanimously.
2. Rezone Property on South Fields Street in Farmville Corporate Park (Parcel #78626) from Residential- Agricultural (RA-20) to Industrial District (ID)Planning Director Justin Oakes requested
Public hearing done above
Commissioner Hobbs made a motion to approve. The motion carried unanimously.
Items for Consent
3. Approval of Minutes
To approve the minutes from the following session(s):
- August 30, 2021 – Regular Session
On motion by Commissioner Smith, the Board adopted/approved the following:
- Approved the minutes from the August 30, 2021 regular session
The motion carried unanimously.
Items for Discussion
4. Resolution to Remove the Routing of US 258 Business and Revise the Routing of NC 121 Within the Farmville Area
Town Manager Hodgkins stated
Steve Hamilton- NCDOT
Fix wording on resolution—*remove alternate**
On motion by Commissioner Elks, the Board adopted Resolution (2021) _____, A Resolution to Remove the Routing of US 258 Business and Revise the Routing of NC 121 Within the Town of Farmville. The motion carried unanimously.
5. Changes to Town Cemetery Policy
Public Works Director Wes Thomas
On motion by Commissioner Shackleford, the Board approved…..The motion carried unanimously.
Mayor Moore asked for citizen comments at this time.
John Spruill, 3609 South George St- flat sounds good- military- wes military does offer a flat option
Annie Tyson- Wallace St- thank you for removing the overgrowth- to wes
On motion by Commissioner Smith, the meeting was adjourned at 7:07 p.m. The motion carried unanimously.