Town of Farmville
Board of Commissioners
September 13, 2016
The Farmville Board of Commissioners met in special session on Tuesday, September 13, 2016 at 10:00 a.m. in the Town Municipal Building Conference room with Mayor Robert L. Evans presiding. Present for the meeting were Commissioners Jamin Dixon, Hunter Walters, John Moore, Brenda Elks and David Shackleford; Town Manager David Hodgkins and Town Clerk Amy B. Johnson.
Mayor Evans called the meeting to order at 10:00 a.m.
Item for Discussion
Pay and Classification Study
Town Manager Hodgkins stated that HRE Essentials consulting firm had prepared an update of the Town’s Employee Pay and Classification Plan last Spring but that some of the implementation strategies that were recommended needed to be modified to better fit the Town’s needs and to be financially feasible for the Town.
Town Manager Hodgkins recommended the following actions for approval by the Board:
1. Approve the updated job descriptions for all staff positions
2. Approve the Pay and Classification Plan placing all positions on the proper grade
3. Increase the salaries of all the employees whose salaries fall below the minimum for the grade for the employee’s position
4. Increase employee salaries on a sliding scale (0%-5%) based on years of service to the Town
5. Agree to increase employee salaries effective July 1, 2017 to bring all positions close to the mid-point for the pay range
6. Grant the Town Manager the authority to make adjustments as needed to individual salaries to help recruit and retain employees in hard to fill positions
7. Grant the Town Manager the authority to make one-time adjustments for employees who obtain certain job credentials of benefit to the Town
He asked for the Board to delay approving recommendation #1, until he could provide all the final job descriptions to the Board for review. Some are still being reviewed by the departments.
Hodgkins stated that #2 and #3 recommendations would be effective November 3, 2016 and #4 would be effective January 1, 2017.
After a general discussion by the Board, Commissioner Moore made a motion to approve item #s 2-7 of the Town Manager’s recommendations. The motion carried unanimously.
On motion by Commissioner Walters, the meeting was adjourned at 11:08 a.m. The motion carried unanimously.
Robert L. Evans, Mayor
Amy B. Johnson, Town Clerk